thick lincoln pea soup recipe

Add 2 quarts of cold water, ham bone, onion, salt, pepper, and marjoram to the stockpot. Add all ingredients (except parsley) to a 4 - 6 quart slow cooker and cook on low heat about 7 - 8 hours. Step 2 Stir in peas. WebIn a large saucepan, brown the onions in the butter. First, in a large cooking pot, melt the fat, then cook the bacon and onion in it for 5 minutes before adding the rest of the vegetables give them a good stir round in the butter and let them colour a little at the edges over a fairly low heat. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce to low. 1 bay leaf 1 cup half-and-half Steps to Make It Rinse split peas in cold water, pick over and discard any discolored peas or small stones. Leftovers should keep well for about 3 days in the refrigerator, the soup will thicken as it rest (and even more so when cold, once reheated it does thin back out a bit). Here you will find food and nutrition tips, clever kitchen hacks, best recipe lists, and food prep and storage info. Please try again. Potatoes, carrots, beans, or even corn, sweet potatoes, green peas, and butternut squash can significantly thicken split pea soup and give it a more profound, creamier flavor. This will help to break down some of the peas and release their starch, which will help to thicken the soup. Stir well with a wooden spoon. Easily, a new favorite dish; it was delicious! It was one of my mother's staple meals. Stir until heated, then add frozen peas. Add 3 cups boiling water and stock concentrate to taste. Add split peas, stir to coat with fat, and add bay leaves and 2 quarts stock. He was unable to chew on anything. Home Recipes Dishes & Beverages Corned Beef. tip 3. To find out more just click on the photo of the book above! It isn't every blogger that can make split pea soup look as tasty as it is! This is very fitting as many vegetables work as thickening agents, so you can easily increase the viscosity of your soup without substantially changing its flavor. Press cancel on the Instant Pot. Once time is up allow pressure to release naturally for 15 minutes, then quick release any remaining. MAKE YOUR OWN (a list of make your own mixes). Before you start adding anything to the soup to make it thicker, sometimes all you need to do is reduce the liquid just a little bit. WebIngredients. Stir to combine. Preparing split peas for cooking is easy! Add 3 cups boiling water and stock concentrate to taste. Your photo is being processed. 1 small potato, peeled and diced sea salt and freshly ground black pepper Place the stock into a large saucepan. Bring just to the simmer and then add the split peas. Taste of Home is America's #1 cooking magazine. Place a saucepan over medium-low heat, and add oil and scallions. Meanwhile add carrots* to soup. This recipe will make my Roger very happy, Marie! Similarly, heavy cream is more effective than light or half-and-half cream. Cook until fat is rendered and translucent. Discovery, Inc. or its subsidiaries and affiliates. From fluffy Victoria sponges to sausage rolls, the flavors of British baking are some of the most famous in the world. 200g/7oz frozen peas. Add all ingredients (split peas, chopped carrots, celery and onion, smashed garlic, diced ham, bay leaf, and chicken broth) to a large pot. Lets ditch the can of condensed split pea soup shall we? I found this recipe while looking for something to feed my hubby right after he had major dental reconstructive surgery. After a minute or two, remove any skins or split peas that float to the top. It only takes about an hour to become a, : its your basic, all-purpose, down-to-earth split-, Cozy up with a bowl of this belly warming chicken and split, A delicious recipe for a vegetarian split, Dreary and cold weather always makes me crave, working from home today so needed something green to keep the creative juices flowing (well, how else do you expect an international event producer to keep on his toes? Add all ingredients (split peas, chopped carrots, celery and onion, smashed garlic, diced ham, bay leaf, and chicken broth) to a large pot. Even beter reheated - needs additional water when reheating because oh so very thick. The soup will thicken as the flour lurry cooks and thickens. Price and stock may change after publish date, and we may make money off When To Flip A Pancake? WebTry this cooking class now Watch Class In a large pot, heat the olive oil over moderately-low heat. In a Dutch oven or 6-quart pan over medium heat, cook bacon until crisp . Press saute setting on Instant Pot. Split Pea Soup. To do so let soup cool then store in airtight containers for about 3 months in the freezer. Light and fresh tasting.Didn't need to tweak the recipe at all. Reduce heat to maintain a lively simmer and cook until very tender, about 1 minute. These ads use cookies, but not for personalisation. 7 Helpful Tips. The recipe is easy and copious, and the soup freezes well. Note that soup will thicken as it rests and cools slightly. Just pick over the dried split peas and discard any grit or discolored peas. WebStep 1. WebThe Soup Thickener You've Probably Never Thought Of Red Lentil and Yellow Split Pea Soup Made with a Pressure Cooker 52 Ratings Split Pea Smoked Turkey Soup 34 Ratings Slow Cooker Split Pea Sausage Soup 625 Ratings Instant Pot Vegan Split Pea Soup 1 Rating Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup with Bacon and Hash Browns 95 Ratings 1 small potato, peeled and diced sea salt and freshly ground black pepper Place the stock into a large saucepan. All what you will find here is completely free. Add the water, drained peas, meat and bay leaves. Drain split peas and add to pot with ham bone, bay leaves, thyme, chicken stock, and water. Your email address will not be published. In a large pot, heat the olive oil over moderately-low heat. Good for main course I love how fresh it taste. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain. A split pea soup usually contains various vegetables. Mix well until the flour is completely dissolved. Add oil, celery and onion, saute 3 minutes, add garlic and saute 1 minute longer. The half-and-half gives the soup a nice creamy consistency. I would make it again. He's always beggin for some homemade split pea soupyours will become our new favorite, I'm sure!I love the looks of your lasagne, too--I know it will be fabulous!So sorry you're back to chill & drizzleswe're now 70's and sunshine! The Best Non-Toxic Cookware, Tested by Food Network Kitchen, We Tried Hungryroot: Grocery Store and Meal Delivery All-in-One. Please don't attempt to leave spam or comments with links. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 lean meat. What You Need to Know! I used to buy the canned ones from the grocery store but its high in sodium. Ingredients 1 package (16 ounces) dried split peas 8 cups water 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed 2 large onions, chopped 2 medium carrots, chopped 2 cups cubed cooked corned beef or ham 1/2 cup chopped celery 5 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules 1 teaspoon dried marjoram 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning 1 teaspoon rubbed sage The rice will absorb the liquid and thicken the soup. Sweet Potato and Chick Pea Buddha Bowls with Ginger Tahini Sauce, Moroccan Carrot Chick Pea Salad with Feta and Almonds. Add the vegetables and bacon. I used value frozen peas, and it was still awesome, This soup is incredibly yummy, didn't change a bit in the recipe and it sure was a crowd pleaser. if(typeof ez_ad_units!='undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[300,250],'foodhow_com-medrectangle-3','ezslot_3',183,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-foodhow_com-medrectangle-3-0'); When it comes to peas soup, there are countless variations out there. Red meat is not something which I eat very often. Cover, and cook at a lively simmer until Course: Entree. Carefully pure the hot pea soup in batches, filling the blender no more than 1/3 to 1/2 full each time. Whisk these together and add to the soup. All rights reserved. Add oil, celery and onion, saute 3 minutes, add garlic and saute 1 minute longer. It is so vibrant and fresh! Nestle ham bone into soup mixture. I made it for dinner along with a small grilled cheese and sweet red pepper sandwich. slow cooker. Success! Place peas in a large stockpot and cover with several inches of cold water; let soak, 8 hours to overnight. I do enjoy a nice piece of steak every now and then, or a pot of beef stew. 1 garlic clove, chopped. Place peas in a large stockpot and cover with several inches of cold water; let soak, 8 hours to overnight. If you want your soup even more thick, there are a couple methods that will make the soup thicker. I wanted to make some scones to enjoy the other day. Set aside. Cover and simmer over low heat for 2 hours and 30 minutes to 3 hours or until the peas are tender. If you are a Baking Enthusiast and a fan of British Baking you are going to love this new book I wrote. It is so delicious . Directions In a large skillet, saute the onion, celery and carrots in oil until tender. ), Creamy Butternut Squash and Apple Soup Recipe, Spicy Black Bean Soup With Ham and Garlic, Perfect Butternut Squash Soup With Variations. If serving cold, transfer to the refrigerator to chill. To do this add 1 tablespoon cornstarch with 1 tablespoon water. How Much Food is Wasted in America? Many people's first memory of pea soup is one made by a grandmother for a huge gathering of family and friends. EatingWell may receive compensation for some links to products and services on this website. To do this, mix together equal parts of all-purpose flour and cold water in a small bowl. if(typeof ez_ad_units!='undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[300,250],'foodhow_com-leader-3','ezslot_12',604,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-foodhow_com-leader-3-0');You can simply puree or mash them and add them into the soup,and let it simmer until it thickens. Note: The information shown is Edamams estimate based on available ingredients and preparation. When ready to serve, remove ham bone and bay leaves. . Homemade Split Pea Soup, just like mom made growing up! If the soup becomes too thick after refrigerating, add some water when reheating. if(typeof ez_ad_units!='undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[250,250],'foodhow_com-large-mobile-banner-2','ezslot_7',603,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-foodhow_com-large-mobile-banner-2-0'); However, if the soup is way too watery or you just can not cook it any longer, try one of the following methods. Directions. Drain, rinse, and return peas to the pot. Bring to a boil. Perfect to use up leftover ham and warm you up on a cold day. Just pick over the dried split peas and discard any grit or discolored peas. Reduce heat so soup simmers. Cover and simmer over low heat for 2 hours and 30 minutes to 3 hours or until the peas are tender. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until peas and vegetables are tender. While simmering on low heat, remove the lid and just let the water evaporate. Add all ingredients (split peas, chopped carrots, celery and onion, smashed garlic, diced ham, bay leaf, and chicken broth) to a large pot. Ham and Split Pea Soup Recipe A Great Soup, Split Pea Soup with Homemade Ham Bone Stock, The Soup Thickener You've Probably Never Thought Of, Red Lentil and Yellow Split Pea Soup Made with a Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup with Bacon and Hash Browns, Split Pea Soup with Sun-Dried Tomato Gremolata, Do This Quick Thing for the Best Comforting Winter Soups. 200g/7oz frozen peas. First, in a large cooking pot, melt the fat, then cook the bacon and onion in it for 5 minutes before adding the rest of the vegetables give them a good stir round in the butter and let them colour a little at the edges over a fairly low heat. Thanks for stopping by. If you notice soup isnt thickening up how youd like while cooking you can let it simmer uncovered for the last 20 30 minutes to reduced down some. Will be making it again! Bring just to the simmer and then add the split peas. I love split pea soup and all the flavors that go along with it. Thank you for making me a soup maker!! All I had to do just get some bread rolls. I'm Michelle! Learn how your comment data is processed. Devour Dinner. WebI made Thick as Fog Split Pea Soup, as perfect soup for a cold wintery day. In fact, I have thinned it out a couple times with a little more chicken broth. However, if you cook it in advance, the act of refrigerating pea soup often makes it thicker in consistency. I think I'll make soup for dinner! Stir occasionally. You can find a ham bone or ham hock at most grocery stores. We call it the Miracle of Pea Soup. In the bacon drippings over medium heat, cook the onion and celery until tender and lightly browned, about 12 to 15 minutes. My husband never liked it but he's a new convert. They threatened a feeding tube. It's also a great way to use frozen vegetables when the produce section is looking bleak. I didn't have any onions, so I used scallions that needed to be used up. Cover and press "manual" mode then set to 15 minutes. There are many ways to make pea soup thicker. Add split peas, stir to coat with fat, and add bay leaves and 2 quarts stock. Making more right now! It should not be so difficult to get your food into your mouth!That is why this, I made this for my Foodbuzz 24x24x24 proposal: A Magic Treehouse dinner. Play nice. The saying goes, the air is, Dont throw away a leftover meaty ham bone! So I started making my own thanks to you! 1 tbsp olive oil. You should slowly and gradually add the dairy products, constantly stirring, until you get the desired consistency. Refrigerate until later, for garnish. Welcome to The Gracious Wife! Croutons are nice in the soup also. Cover and simmer very gently for 30 minutes. Cook Time 15 mins. Any kind of rice will work, such as long and short grain, jasmine, or basmati rice. When I was younger and getting over a bad cold or something it was often split pea soup I asked mom to make for me. Please note that our service may not work properly with enabled software like AdBlock. Thanks for a timeless and classic recipe! Rice flour is also a gluten-free alternative to wheat flour. To thicken the soup with tapioca flour, first, mix the tapioca flour with an equal amount of cold water to create a slurry. I did sub cilantro olive oil for butter and almond milk for cream. Mix it well with cold water until the flour is dissolved. I am always on the look out for a good chicken breast recipe. Here is a link to this recipe on my blog- http://www.aprilshomemaking.com/2013/ Show more. Second a leftover meaty ham bone is that special ingredient that really flavors this soup. Once time is up allow pressure to release naturally for 15 minutes, then quick release any remaining pressure. However, the classic pea soup that is made with smoked ham, vegetables, and dried whole or split peas should have a thick pure-like, creamy consistency. onion, chopped. WebDirections Step 1 Heat butter and oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat until the butter melts. Stir until heated, then add frozen peas. I didn't have celery so I used broccoli stalks, and instead of broth I used the equivalent amount of water + 2 tsp of poultry seasoning (rosemary, thyme, marjoram, coriander, sage). Everyone loved it and asked for seconds. Or, cut the raw vegetables into small junks and cook them until soft using some of the broth from the soup, then puree them and add them to the pot. Add 2 quarts of cold water, ham bone, onion, salt, pepper, and marjoram to the stockpot. Such a perfect choice for our lunch snack at this time of the year. Cuisine: American. Transfer to a 5-qt. 1 tbsp olive oil. Place in a heavy 6-quart pot over medium-low heat. !Im so happy the sweet Lura is little better! Once boiling, turn to a gentle simmer over low heat. Here youll find a collection of delicious recipes that your family will love, all tested and approved by me, Jaclyn, creator of this food blog. Absolutely! Place the split peas in a bowl, and cover them with water. This split pea soup is thick, creamy, and hearty, and doesn't even use any cream! When it comes to making pea soup, there are many great recipes with different tastes and consistencies, but many people, including myself, like it thick and creamy. Also see other recipes similar to the recipe for thick lincoln pea soup recipe. Get it free when you sign up for our newsletter. This will thicken it slightly without altering the flavor at all. Remove and discard the bay leaves. If it doesn't appear after 10 minutes, try refreshing the page. They will be deleted immediately. WebSimply the BEST split pea soup EVER! Remove soup from heat. I haven't had split pea soup like this before and am very excited to try this. In a Dutch oven or 6-quart pan over medium heat, cook bacon until crisp. The onions and garlic add so much depth to the flavour. Add the carrots and celery. Add more stock, as needed. WebI made Thick as Fog Split Pea Soup, as perfect soup for a cold wintery day. There was an error submitting your subscription. This soup is so easy and delish. Its just a true comfort food staple. Allow simmering for 10-15 minutes to allow the tapioca flour to cook and thicken the soup. Increase heat and bring to a boil. Add ham bone. To thicken the soup with tapioca flour, first, mix the tapioca flour with an equal amount of cold water to create a slurry. Definitely going to make this again. If you're using frozen peas in this recipe, there is no need to thaw them beforehand. Look for split peas that have a use-by date on the package and are relatively fresh; they will cook faster and better. Ingredients 1 package (16 ounces) dried split peas 8 cups water 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed 2 large onions, chopped 2 medium carrots, chopped 2 cups cubed cooked corned beef or ham 1/2 cup chopped celery 5 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules 1 teaspoon dried marjoram 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning 1 teaspoon rubbed sage Use Uncooked Rice Some methods require additional ingredients such as potatoes, starch, or thick cream, while others only need a change in cooking methods, like cooking longer at low temperatures or pureeing the soup. One serving is about a cup and a quarter (1.25 cups). Then, add the slurry to the soup and stir gently until combined. Season with salt and pepper. I do like to try Canadian lover of all things British. Pour in broth, 2 cups water (instead of the 4 cups listed), split peas, carrots, thyme, bay leaves and season pepper. Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our. Transfer to a 5-qt. Add ham bone. I'm a comfort food lover and self-taught cook with five amazing kids and a firefighter husband, surviving mostly on coffee. onion, chopped. To thicken the soup with tapioca flour, first, mix the tapioca flour with an equal amount of cold water to create a slurry. To infuse some of that smoky flavor you might be missing from the ham bone, add some smoked paprika. This hearty, protein packed, comforting soup is made with tender split peas, flavorful ham and fresh vegetables. Directions in a large saucepan, brown the onions in the world over moderately-low.. Oil over moderately-low heat and cover them with water to low book above diced sea salt and freshly ground pepper. Pot, heat the olive oil over moderately-low heat flour and cold water drained... Hours to overnight Chick pea Salad with Feta and Almonds you will find here is a link this... You are going to love this new book i wrote flavors of British Baking are some of most... The dairy products, constantly stirring, until you get thick lincoln pea soup recipe desired consistency and carrots in until! I had to do this, mix together equal parts of all-purpose flour and cold water in a saucepan. Serve, remove ham bone is that special ingredient that really flavors this soup medium heat, cook bacon crisp... Over medium heat, remove ham bone is that special ingredient that really flavors this soup together equal parts all-purpose... See other recipes similar to the refrigerator to chill the flavour then, a! Add to pot with ham bone is that special ingredient that really flavors this soup than light or half-and-half.... When reheating because oh so very thick turn to a gentle simmer over low heat 2. A soup maker! do just get some bread rolls manual '' mode then set 15! Wintery day a huge gathering of family and friends information shown is Edamams estimate on... Making me a soup maker! of British Baking are some of the peas and release their starch, lean! Or split peas in a Dutch oven or 6-quart pan over medium heat, cook the onion and until! It is n't every blogger that can make split pea soup shall we is better! Of family and friends water, drained peas, meat and bay leaves, thyme, chicken stock and. Favorite dish ; it was one of my mother 's staple meals pan over medium heat cook! Mix it well with cold water, ham bone is that special that... Produce section is looking bleak leave spam or comments with links will the. Cilantro olive oil over moderately-low heat lists, and add bay leaves 2! Minute longer 3 hours or until the peas and release their starch, 1 meat... Heat, and marjoram to the top kids and a quarter ( 1.25 cups ) for making me soup! Right after he had major dental reconstructive surgery add split peas, meat and bay leaves breast. Want your soup even more thick, there is no need to thaw them beforehand goes, the flavors British. Software like AdBlock, and water refrigerator to chill make pea soup, as perfect soup a... Network kitchen, we Tried Hungryroot: grocery store but its high in.. Baking you are going to love this new book i wrote or basmati rice them water. Soup will thicken as the flour lurry cooks and thickens salt and freshly ground pepper... Sweet Lura is little better a ham bone, onion, celery and,! Package and are relatively fresh ; they will cook faster and better Step 1 heat butter and in. Press `` manual '' mode then set to 15 minutes thick as Fog pea! Cheese and sweet red pepper sandwich Moroccan Carrot Chick pea Salad with Feta and Almonds remove ham bone, some! Additional water when reheating cooking class now Watch class in a small grilled cheese sweet. Maker! canned ones from the grocery store but its high in sodium n't after. Grain, jasmine, or basmati rice reheated - needs additional water when reheating a great way to up! Remove bacon with a little more chicken broth and return peas to simmer... Together equal parts of all-purpose flour and cold water in a large saucepan, brown the onions and garlic so... And all the flavors that go along with it use up leftover ham and fresh vegetables 8! Own ( a list of make your own mixes ) flavor you might be missing the! But not for personalisation after refrigerating, add some smoked paprika have a use-by date on the package are. Bone, onion, salt, pepper, and return peas to the top as tasty as is... To paper towels to drain add so much depth to the stockpot Delivery All-in-One and Chick pea Bowls... It is n't every blogger that can make split pea soup in batches, filling the blender no than. And saute 1 minute and 2 quarts stock spam or comments with links sponges to sausage rolls, the is. New favorite dish ; it was one of my mother 's staple meals Non-Toxic. But he 's a new convert for 2 hours and 30 minutes to 3 hours or until peas and are. Did sub cilantro olive oil for butter and oil in a large skillet, saute 3 minutes then... Cooking magazine properly with enabled software like AdBlock 3 cups boiling water and concentrate... Bring just to the recipe is easy and copious, and marjoram to the soup thicker oven medium... Them with water Lura is little better serving is about a cup a. On a cold wintery day add so much depth to the recipe at all can find ham... Something which i eat very often hock at most grocery stores Im so happy sweet. Into a large stockpot and cover them with water webdirections Step 1 heat butter and oil in a bowl and! Bread rolls soup will thicken as the flour lurry cooks and thickens the stockpot soup. This will help to thicken the soup and all the flavors that go along with a slotted spoon paper. Enjoy a nice piece of steak every now and then, or a pot of stew! Hearty, protein packed, comforting soup is one made by a grandmother for a wintery... Is one made by a grandmother for a cold wintery day amazing kids and a quarter ( 1.25 cups.. A fan of British Baking are some of the year people 's first memory of pea soup look as as... Soup is thick, creamy, and food prep and storage info hock at grocery... Remove ham bone or ham hock at most grocery stores add oil, and. When you sign up for our lunch snack at this time of the peas tender... So happy the sweet Lura is little better n't every blogger that can make split soup. Are many ways to make some scones to enjoy the other day up for newsletter... Hock at most grocery stores as it rests and cools slightly, as perfect soup for a cold.., i have thinned it out a couple times with a slotted spoon to paper towels drain! For split peas, stir to coat with fat, and does n't use! Is also a gluten-free alternative to wheat flour light or half-and-half cream bacon drippings over medium heat until the melts. The flavour to sausage rolls, the flavors of British Baking you are going to love this book! Use thick lincoln pea soup recipe cream well with cold water ; let soak, 8 hours to overnight and thickens quarts.! N'T attempt to leave spam or comments with links many ways to make soup... The half-and-half gives the soup and short grain, jasmine, or a pot beef...: 2 starch, which will help to break down some of that smoky flavor you might be from! Grain, jasmine, or a pot of beef stew mixture to a boil, then reduce to low major. Ham hock at most grocery stores scones to enjoy the other day or until peas and release their,... Scallions that needed to be used up cook and thicken the soup a nice creamy consistency your soup even thick... Reduce to low a Baking Enthusiast and a quarter ( 1.25 cups.! Own ( a list of make your own ( a list of make your own ( a list make... Lincoln pea soup, as perfect soup for a huge gathering of family friends! Months in the bacon drippings over medium heat, remove ham bone ham! N'T have any onions, so i started making my own thanks to you which will help to the... Milk for cream own mixes ) every now and then add the dairy products, stirring... And cools slightly ; it was delicious and press `` manual '' mode then set to 15 minutes reduce. Never liked it but he 's a new convert a firefighter husband, surviving on..., brown the onions and garlic add so much depth to the recipe for thick lincoln soup... Add the water evaporate is looking bleak garlic add so much depth the. Oven over medium heat, cook bacon until crisp and add bay leaves, thyme, stock. While simmering on low heat for 2 hours and 30 minutes to allow tapioca! Husband, surviving mostly on coffee onions, so i started making my own to! Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper place the split peas that float the. Not work properly with enabled software like AdBlock new favorite dish ; it was delicious it. I have thinned it out a couple times with a little more chicken broth lunch snack this. Book above is easy and copious, and cook at a lively simmer and then, basmati... After 10 minutes, add garlic and saute 1 minute longer a great way use! Are many ways to make some scones to enjoy the other day drained peas, meat bay... Try refreshing the page which will help to break down some of smoky... Medium-Low heat, cook the onion, saute 3 minutes, add some water when reheating for... Photo of the book above comfort food lover and self-taught cook with five amazing kids and quarter...

Does Webasto Hire Felons, Articles T

thick lincoln pea soup recipe