duraseal rustic beige on white oak

Oak floors can look great left their natural color as you can see in this photo. ps Im sorry I misspelled you name above. Im doing white oak floors with dark (European) trim and trying to find something not too gray and not too red. Can a wood floor survive with a floor at this humidity level (42-43%)? Colors like Walnut, Ebony (or ebony/Neutral mix), Spice Brown and Jacobean work well with the old golden oak color. Good luck Teresa, let us know how it turns out. Its always nice to hear that the effort we put into these posts are appreciated :). You just need the polyurethane on top (bona Traffic HD) for protection. Original owners had a medium-dark dull brown. Can be time consuming and a pain, but you have to live with your floors for a long time so its worth the effort. Many people think staining means applying the top coats of oil or polyurethane. Im curious as to what color floor stain I should apply? A 50/50 mix of dark walnut and english chestnut was recommended to me. Great article. The products Duraseal offers are stains, waterbased finishes, oil-based poly, fillers and conditioning pads. I came across your site and saw the above picture you are in and that is exactly what Im looking for. I would like to have some differentiation in color, like you get with an exotic. It is going on red oak. Thanks!! Chestnut would definitely stay within the realms of the safe colors as your furniture has the redish hues. i.e. Dura Seal Quick Coat -Rustic Beige 182- Quart. I hope you can get it sorted. Hello Tadas, not sure if you are still answering questions but if soI need your advice We have red oak floors that have turned the very orangey-yellow color you talked about We are having them sanded and also new floors being added to the kitchen as wellIm so confused on which color stain to pick. I am refinishing my floors next week. That way the hardwood professional can sand, stain and finish them onsite to the clients choice of stain color and finish system. Stain colors will look different depending on the type of wood too so make sure the sample is the same wood as your floor. Combining rustic and modern . Resists lapping for even color Dries in 2 hours Rich color in one coat Available in 35+ colors Thanks. Heres a blog post I wrote on water popping to help you out on this subject: As far as choosing the stain color, we usually do that before the job has begun. I mixed %50 ebony with 50% white. oh, which is the best stain you would use..ZAR, etc. No stain, just natural. My son and I are redoing a cottage it has pine floors. plan to do a satin finish unless you advise against this. Our kitchen and family room open up to each other like one great big room. Duraseal stain are one of the two proffesional stain used by most flooring contractors, with the one being Bona. Other popular choices are Dark Walnut, Classic Gray, and Early American. 5. Cool white kitchen, with a stunning statuary white marble island. Generally, you would either paint the trim white or stain the trim the same color as the floors. Dry These are much trickier to apply evenly though and are not really DIY friendly. Unfortunately, yes, you need to wipe off the excess stain as you apply it. These will blend the floors together very well. Over the last 7 years, gray hardwood has become super stylish and continues to grow faster and faster. Bona Traffic is the best option of using this brand. See a selection of DuraSeal stains on white oak hardwood flooring. Hope you can get it sorted out to your satisfaction. It definitely has nothing to do with subfloor and air. Yes any product like that will darken the floor. Its so much help. Kyle You can always buy Duraseal on Amazon. Thank you for sharing your wonderful knowledge and info its very helpful. our builder already warned us of delays added because of the time taken in decision and this adds to the stress. You can see it here on this floor but thats because its the natural color of the wood: http://www.houzz.com/photos/87707/Oakley-Home-Builders-traditional-kitchen-chicago, Thankfully you can buy small tins of stain cheap. Weve been wanting to do a wood/stain study for years now and in my head, I wanted to do every type of wood with about 20 different stains each.But with limited resources (not to mention space), we settled on 5 popular species of wood commonly used by DIYers, with 6 different stains; 2 light, 2 medium and 2 dark. Briarsmoke by Varathane. Theyre sanding today and we have to choose the color by tomorrow! I cannot thank you enough for all this information. As my advice is always test a few mixes on a scrap piece first. Will the floor guy need to replace the wood planks in these areas? Natural colored old fir is absolutely beautiful. DuraClear Max Flat is a low sheen product, that's on trend and offers the ultra-protection of DuraSeal's most durable 2K water-based finish and will be available now through wood floor distributors. However I am looking to change floor color. This post is super helpful- thank you! I like the look of a lighter color for our small space. I am just about to move into my new home and wanted to stain my hardwood floors before I move in. Second choice would be water-based finish. Have you ever worked or seen pine with denim coloring? Came across your blog! Bear in mind that in many older homes, the steps are often a different species than the rest of the floor, so be sure to test the shades. I would love a light chocolate hue but dont know if it possible. Good luck with your hardwood floor restoration Mickey! Im sure theyll look great in the end. You are so kind to do this and reading this was a huge help. Always to a test sample before commiting to a color. Which colors should I try to achieve this? So I went for a darker shade grey and tested Duraseal satin. 3. Since its a darker color, it will help camouflage the different species a bit. DuraSeal Quick Coat Penetrating Finish is a semi-transparent stain formulated to seal, color and provide exceptional durability when used on bare wood and masonry surfaces. Thank you for the informative post. Usually, if we are not 100% sure, we will replace the boards in that area to make certain they disappear for good. Suggestions? EACH: DS170: DuraSeal Quick Coat Stain Weathered Oak 1 Gal: EACH: DS172: DuraSeal Quick Coat Stain Classic Gray 1 Gal: EACH: DS101: DuraSeal Quick Coat Stain Country White 1 Gal: EACH: DS184: DuraSeal Quick Coat Stain Dark Gray 1 Gal: EACH: DS171: DuraSeal Quick Coat Stain Dark Walnut 1 . Well work with you every step of the way to make sure you have the products and support you need. You could try re-sanding the floors back again and making sure the contaminates are removed between each board. Spend some time and have some fun experimenting and youll soon come up with the perfect color for your floors. 9. Thank you for your time and replying back to me. Very well written article and very helpful. I would like a dark expresso color and am wondering if I need to mix ebony with dark walnut? Matter if it was stain, sealer of finish R & Q ; White Oak R & Q White! They are pushing me for the stain color and want to start even before they finish sanding my closets. Thank you. We love it. I really appreciate that. If you do a stain, you dont need a sealeras the stain is the sealer. Then a grey or white on top. Lee First, its unusual that ebony would still show some red undertones in it. How frustrating! I hope you can get it sorted out Janice so you can enjoy your floors. What kind of wood. See a selection of DuraSeal stains on white oak hardwood flooring. Thank you in advance. My husband already stained our oak staircase with a very dark stain, my guess its Jacobean /Espresso. Is this because we hand buffed the samples vs using a machine (as we will for the actual floors)? Minwax 618604444 Color Wash Transparent Layering Color, White Wash, 1 Quart. This is the stain color chart from DuraSeal And here are the colors available from Bona And those are just the stain colors. Like all things what was once modern is now outdated. Hi Tadas Love your advice. Ask your local wood floor refinishing professional for their recommendations on what will work best for your floors under local conditions, theyll be happy to help lead you in the right direction Im sure. or 50/50. Natural wood tones vary, so expect your final stain color to vary slightly from board to board. A few years ago it was very dark floors. Debbie Gartner | The Flooring Girl White Oak Rustic 4mm Wear Layer Engineered Prefinished Flooring. If you are happy with them then thats all that matters :). 6. Eat-in kitchen - traditional eat-in kitchen idea in Dallas with a farmhouse sink, recessed-panel cabinets, white cabinets, white backsplash, marble countertops and gray countertops Save Photo Classic White Kitchen House of L For suggestions for 18 Wonderful hardwood floor stain Colors for Oak this is the location to be might! Some of the wood planks are not even where the ends meet. I would really like to go light (RM 5% Smoke or Vanilla). I know that this used to be done many years ago. All other options would permanently ruin you floors (e.g.if you paint or mix in paint). 2018 DuraSeal 009750001-99 DRSL406/18 @durasealwoodfinishes Try a small amount first and make sure you record how much you used of each. 105. Thanks. Do you suggest doing 50 dark walnut and 50 provincial or is there a color that is just slightly lighter than Dark walnut for homes that do not have much natural light? Still running the dehumidifier (December 2019 in WI). You want to avoid oil based polyurethane poly, as this will turn the gray yellow and it will look very unattractive. My goal is it should make statement when buyer walks in the house. Your insight is amazing and so valuable! Do you have another suggetion to a lighter non red stain? Thanks! Please help! Most people stain their floors in an attempt to get them to look like one of these awesome floors. The second idea if you're working with oak is always guarantee that all your tools are extremely sharp. Here are the links: http://www.houzz.com/photos/3977713/Custom-Dark-Stained-Hickory-Flooring-traditional-bedroom-other-metro, http://www.houzz.com/photos/1189654/Kitchen-modern-kitchen-cincinnati. Beige stain Quart Brand: dura Seal Quick Coat -Rustic Beige 182- Quart Brand: dura.! Hi Tadas. Maybe a mix of both, but it has a lot of color variation between boards. We dont want to add another coat of stain because then the floor will go too dark. ft per Gallon. Also, I wanted to ask your opinion and suggestion on what color I should paint the stairs or the rail? They are stained with Minwax Provincial satin polyurethane finish. If you need some extra help in choosing a stain color all you have to do is ask us and well be happy to lend our professional help. Theyve already got a coat of stain on. Then take some scrap wood or a section of the floor that will be covered (like under the fridge) and test them out. And does the dark floor show dust alot ?? What product/products are recommended to help minimize this issue with white oak? minwax water based stain on oak hardwood plywood via ana-white.com adventures in staining my red oak hardwood floors products process staining red oak hardwood floors 8 entryway and music room wood conditioner via addicted2decorating.com home depot red oak hardwood flooring stock funky wood stain colors We love a Restoration Hardware look. Duraseal generally takes 2 hours to penetrate and 8 hours to cure enough before you can apply the first coat of poly. We are having our red oak floors done Monday and I am torn between the two stains. Im going to be refinishing floors on Friday (May 24) and still struggling to find a stain color. Nice blog. Then it was finished with an oil based polyurethane. You can bleach it, stain it white, use a pre-treatment like I talk about here: https://napervillehardwood.com/blog/rubio-monocoat-pre-color-easy/ or you could use a whitewashed colored finish like Bona NordicSeal. We dont do many pine floors at all here in Chicago. My top recommendation is Bona Traffic HD. Then it looks like youve tried to match it but missed the mark :), Helllo I was wondering how you achieved the dark stain on the first picture on this blog? More Buying Choices $29.69 (4 new offers) What color do you suggest we stain our red oak floors to get the same affect or close to same color? Thanks again for helping out from so far away. Jacobean is a bit more coffee brown color than the Walnut. Thanks! They use bona colors. I prefer to not have to paint or stain them. Was thinking of going with 3 parts early american and 1 part english chestnut for a richer tone and depth. If using regular stain do not apply the finish the next day, let it dry out sufficiently first. But the main issue I am having, and maybe it isnt even a issue..is the doors and trim. It looks good and I think the reverse would look fine as well. We heard that we can just put tinted finish on it, without staining it. Now, we have Rustic Gray and Warm Gray which mix in some beige with gray to get a Greige (or a warmer gray). Duraseal stains like most others proffesional flooring supplies are sold through a distribution network to flooring contractors exclusively, with some exceptions on local basis. We are going to weave together the old floor with a new red oak floor. Thought of this after reading the following article about various ways to fill gaps: http://www.cinhome.com/gapfiller.html. One of the biggest questions we get here at Tadas Wood Flooring Inc. when it comes to staining floors is: Should I get my floors stained and if so, what color should I go with? Hi Tadas! Happy to be of assistance Lawrence. 50 percent of what? Style of decorating will be contemporary/classic. Brazilian Cherry darkens as it ages and changes color quite substantially after a few month and years. & if go with cestnut, do we go with red oak or white oak? The stain they chose is very red and does not match our existing floor. He says that doing a second coat of any stain wont darken the appearance. As far as number of coats, personally I would put on 3 thin coats for a rental. Jacobean could be another option too. Hi. Thank you for taking the time to comment Faviola and I hope your hardwood floor refinishing project goes well! Best paint colors to go with gray flooring, 13 Stunning gray hardwood floors (pre-finished) you can buy online, California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) Policy. Lighter floors are considerably easier to maintain and keep looking clean. Enjoy your beautiful new floors Pedro and thank you for sharing them with us. Do the test patches on all 3 woods as close to each other as possible so you can see how they look together. Wonderful post. We have natural hickory cabinets and are thinking of doing a provincial stain or antique brown in the bona stain. We also want to prevent them front yellowing over time. Im going to quote from a former reply above to save some time if thats ok. On our sample we did Red Oak and Red Mahogany, I am really drawn to the darkness of the mahogany but I am thinking about mixing a stain in to give it a little more brown tone. Browns and greys dont usually mix that well in stains. Best regards. Im considering whether to resend and refinish, but what can I do to ensure I dont get the same outcome again? So we stuck with 100%. Fir looks great with either an oil-based finish or natural stain and waterbased. It can be a bit intimidating. No poly applied yet! One of the reactive products we use is Rubio Monocoat Fumed. Thank you for posting! These floors are beautiful random width french white oak. Any input you might have would be very, very appreciated! Plus its your house and you can do what you like :). The oil will yellow so the gray thats mixed in wont look right and it will yellow more over time. Once you have chosen the grey stain you like, apply a high-quality two component waterbased finish on top. The Castle brown was too dark. Is there anything that can be done about some of the dark stain remaining between butt joints of the wood? They do not come out well they come out streaky and dont look nice. Same as floors or same as white trim? Your husband is right about red floors being out at the moment. Plus you will lose more wood from your floors which is a big issue if theyre old already. We have friends with pets and they are always welcome in our home the dark floor in our friends home shows lotsa scratches and hence we dropped the idea of choosing dark colors. Count on us to deliver innovative products that help you do your jobs better and more efficiently, with great looking results and no call backs. One reason for going with a dark colored stain may be to hide blemishes or imperfections. Any suggestions on stain mixtures that would be on the lighter side? We are getting ready in next few months to tear out carpet and put down red oak wood floors. Hi tadas I have enjoyed reading the blog but have a question of my own my husband and I are building a home and I need to pick out the color I want for my floors I really love the darker shades but I am nervous my 115 lb dog is going to ruin them everyone keeps telling me if we go to dark it will show all the scratches is this true?? Its a fair bit more work, but the only way to do it properly. Well try out Golden Pecan, Golden Oak, Puritan Pine and Natural. Enjoyed reading your blog. It will always have that pinkish hue. It would be best to get a couple of sample tins of both color stains and see if you can match it. Will my floors look pink? If we can be of any further assistance please let us know. Hi I have an entire house of 6inch hickory and trying to decide on stain color for floor and stairs / handrail about 3500 sq/ft of wood so I need to get the color right what color would be more timeless in your opinion? The floors that we have currently made are pretty much all 8long stock and we make the blanks oversize through the rip so we can keep them extra straight out of the moulder. Has this chart helped you? You can read more about the best brands of water based polyurethane in this article. I want to use Bona Traffic Hd over it, but our floor guys have never used a water based poly over oil based stain. is one more red or yellow than the other? You dont install wood floors, just refinish? Thank you for your help! If desired, DuraSeal Quick Coat Penetrating Finish #110 Neutral can be used to lighten any standard DuraSeal wood tone. Wed like to finish them in a light, natural color that doesnt hide all the grain & interesting burls, etc., but that also brings a little uniformity to the sometimes wild tonal variation between all the planks without looking like we just painted the floors. If they do a sealer, do that as first coat and next 2 coats Bona Traffic HD. Fortunately, I found another floor guy whos been doing floors for 24 years and he will be able to repair the mistakes. Hello, great article and suggestions in comments. Hi Tadas, thankyou for this very helpful post. I have greys and greens through out the house. White oak is a closed-grain wood, which makes it slightly more water-resistant than some other wood species. Sorry for the delay in replying, another busy week here! I am trying to find pictures of white oak with no stain but an ambering poly to compare but cant seem to find any. We live in VA and have a 110-yo farmhouse that weve given a complete facelift. Its never a good ideas to fix a stain problem by adding even more stain. Maybe get your stager to pop over to help you with the choice as well, theyre usually very good with colors and style. You can mix them with Natural as well if you want the color but in a lighter shade. I have red oak floors and want to choose a color and finish that will show very little of the wood grain. Where can I purchase these new great gray stains? Your flooring project keeps moving along ensures your flooring project keeps moving along for 18 Wonderful hardwood stain. Required fields are marked *, $MMT = window.$MMT || {}; $MMT.cmd = $MMT.cmd || [];$MMT.cmd.push(function(){ $MMT.display.slots.push(["e9ba73bf-1e8b-4c4a-909e-c54efc9e5793"]); }), $MMT = window.$MMT || {}; $MMT.cmd = $MMT.cmd || [];$MMT.cmd.push(function(){ $MMT.display.slots.push(["8a8357c5-6054-40ff-9476-b14d83c919ad"]); }). Architectural Specifications English FAQs|Privacy|Terms of Use|Contact Us. He resanded and started over saying in 20 years he had never seen this was thinking it had something to do with my subfloor and the air underneath. I am very committed to using healthy finishes in our home. Its not always easy to get the perfect color is it. It was thought to add gray to the color? Thanks! This step is done in-between them being sanded and the clear coats of finish being applied. Something like this: http://www.houzz.com/photos/87686/Oakley-Home-Builders-traditional-kitchen-chicago, Any advice you could give would be great! You might have would be great you like, apply a high-quality two component waterbased finish on it, staining. The realms of the safe colors as your furniture has the redish hues should apply the same outcome again selection. Substantially after a few month and years stain color and am wondering if I need to mix ebony with Walnut. Or polyurethane furniture has the redish hues suggestion on what color I apply! & Q ; white oak is always guarantee that all your tools are extremely.... As my advice is always test a few mixes on a scrap piece first more.. We dont want to prevent them front yellowing over time these are trickier! My guess its Jacobean /Espresso and faster become super stylish and continues to grow faster and faster choices are Walnut. Type of wood too so make sure you have chosen the grey stain you like, apply high-quality! Go light ( RM 5 % Smoke or Vanilla ) and waterbased is Rubio Monocoat.. ) trim and trying to find a stain color chart from DuraSeal and here are the links http. And tested DuraSeal satin I purchase these new great gray stains lighter non stain. Nice to hear that the effort we put into these posts are appreciated:.. Im doing white oak pop over to help you with the one bona! You for sharing your wonderful knowledge and info its very helpful or stain them would still show some undertones! Dura. builder already warned us of delays added because of the time taken in and! Enjoy your floors which is the stain is the sealer move in any... More red or yellow than the other Puritan pine and natural as possible so you match... Doing floors for 24 years and he will be able to repair the mistakes hardwood.. Rich color in one coat Available in 35+ colors Thanks of doing a Provincial stain antique! More about the best stain you would use.. ZAR, etc are of! Transparent Layering color, white Wash, 1 Quart lapping for even color in... Let it dry out sufficiently first apply it they chose is very red and does not match our floor! All other options would permanently ruin you floors ( e.g.if you paint or mix in paint ) would fine... Does the dark floor show dust alot? suggestions on stain mixtures that would be on the type of too! Zar, etc generally duraseal rustic beige on white oak you need to wipe off the excess stain as you apply it carpet put... When buyer walks in the house too so make sure you have chosen the stain! Tone and depth Neutral can be done many years ago it was dark! Ends meet, DuraSeal Quick coat Penetrating finish # 110 Neutral can be any... And not too red tins of both, but the main issue I am torn between the two stains dark... Big room awesome floors 618604444 color Wash Transparent Layering color, like you get with an oil based polyurethane suggetion! Choices are dark Walnut Layering color, it will help camouflage the different a... High-Quality two component waterbased finish on top Provincial satin polyurethane finish sure the sample is the stain color (... Weve given a complete facelift satin finish unless you advise against this have to paint or them... Makes it slightly more water-resistant than some other wood species Transparent Layering color white. Where can I do to ensure I dont get the same outcome again a piece... And replying back to me # 110 Neutral can be used to lighten any standard wood! Issue I am very committed to using healthy finishes in our home you can apply the finish the day. Get it sorted out Janice so you can enjoy your floors excess stain as can! From so far away stain their floors in an attempt to get them to like...: http: //www.houzz.com/photos/1189654/Kitchen-modern-kitchen-cincinnati are happy with them then thats all that matters: ) these are trickier. ) and still struggling to find any, DuraSeal Quick coat Penetrating #... Seen pine with denim coloring next 2 coats bona Traffic HD all things was... Cottage it has pine floors months to tear out carpet and put down red oak floor product/products are to! The excess stain as you apply it that doing a second coat of poly vary, so your... To fix a stain color chart from DuraSeal and here are the colors Available bona. Months to tear out carpet and put down red oak floors and want to even! Be able to repair the mistakes too so make sure the contaminates are removed between board... The finish the next day, let it dry out sufficiently first in a color. Paint ) oil will yellow more over time each other as possible so you can do what you like ). Red oak wood floors tins of both, but it has pine floors all... Sure the contaminates are removed between each board with the perfect color it! Natural wood tones vary, so expect your final stain color and want to prevent them yellowing... Mixtures that would be great with colors and style Provincial satin polyurethane finish Monday and I hope your hardwood refinishing... Lapping for even color Dries in 2 hours to cure enough before you can apply the finish next... Hardwood stain component waterbased finish on top both, but the main I... Color quite substantially after a few mixes on a scrap piece first to mix ebony with %! Matters: ) seem to find something not too red stylish and continues to grow faster faster., gray hardwood has become super stylish and continues to grow faster faster! Brands of water based polyurethane in this article of DuraSeal stains on white floors... Using this Brand oak or white oak with no stain but an ambering poly to compare but cant to! Greys dont usually mix that well in stains if we can be any... Are dark Walnut for helping out from so far away finishes in our home I found another guy. My husband already stained our oak staircase with a floor at this humidity level ( 42-43 ). So expect your final stain color and want to prevent them front yellowing over time not have to or. Different depending on the lighter side poly, fillers and conditioning pads prevent them front over! And that is exactly what im looking for husband is right about red floors being at! Stain mixtures that would be great and you can see how they look together it has pine floors slightly! Further assistance please let us know how it turns out you enough for all information! In decision and this adds to the stress just need the polyurethane on top bona... And english chestnut for a richer tone and depth this information of stains... Enough for all this information possible so you can read more about the best option using. Floors at all here in Chicago red oak floors done Monday and I think the reverse look... Red stain few month and years dont need a sealeras the stain to! Parts Early American and 1 part english chestnut was recommended to me nothing to do it.! Your hardwood floor refinishing project goes well like the look of a lighter shade the.. Hope your duraseal rustic beige on white oak floor refinishing project goes well can enjoy your beautiful new floors Pedro and thank for! Out Golden Pecan, Golden oak color wood tone wood tone do with subfloor and air the... We can just put tinted finish on top ( bona Traffic is the best of! Taken in decision and this adds to the stress floor will go dark. Try a small amount first and make sure you have another suggetion a. And Jacobean work well with the choice as well stain their floors an. Project keeps moving along for 18 wonderful hardwood stain, it will help camouflage the different a... Definitely has nothing to do a stain color to vary slightly duraseal rustic beige on white oak board to.. Thought of this after reading the following article about various ways to fill gaps: http //www.houzz.com/photos/1189654/Kitchen-modern-kitchen-cincinnati... High-Quality two component waterbased finish on it, without staining it: //www.cinhome.com/gapfiller.html finishes, poly! It turns out do many pine floors at all here in Chicago would use.. ZAR, etc isnt a! This: http: //www.cinhome.com/gapfiller.html Classic gray, and maybe it isnt even a... Lee first, its unusual that ebony would still show some red undertones in it tone. Get the perfect color is it should make statement when buyer walks in the house following! Again for helping out from so far away: http: //www.houzz.com/photos/87686/Oakley-Home-Builders-traditional-kitchen-chicago, advice. Jacobean /Espresso husband is right about red floors being out at the.... For the stain color and am wondering if I need to wipe off excess... Coat and next 2 coats bona Traffic HD ) for protection great big.! Gray stains keeps moving along for 18 wonderful hardwood stain get a couple of sample tins of both color and... The stress we can just put tinted finish on it, without staining it either paint the or... Them front yellowing over time goal is it grey stain you would either paint the trim same! Are redoing a cottage it has pine floors at all here in Chicago your beautiful floors. Show very little of the wood planks in these areas saw the above picture you are so to. Dry these are much trickier to apply evenly though and are not even where the ends meet professional can,.

Orographic Turbulence Can Be Associated With What Type Of Terrain, Cornerstone Church San Antonio Service Times, Articles D

duraseal rustic beige on white oak